BlackVu Dashcam Installed Group Buy DR650GW-2CH

Forums Third Party Products and Services BlackVu Dashcam Installed Group Buy DR650GW-2CH

This topic contains 47 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  Chris Norton 2 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)
  • Author

Brock Nanson

Thanks for that Ken. I think I could manage it from the sound of things. I tend to underestimate my abilities when it comes to messing with with stuff that could be costly to fix. It sounds like I’ve done tougher projects, actually. Sometime let me tell you about working under the dash in an Alfa from Japan… plenty of wires, all labeled in Japanese, and ‘logically’ arranged by the Italians… the flexible circuit board for the instrument panel, with multiple trace breaks, was also a treat. LOL

Paul, do you have any idea whether the installer you’ve got lined up would be doing the work in essentially the same manner? I’m wondering if there would be interest to have a group ‘install-fest’ to do the work ourselves… especially if Ken or someone with the experience would be available to provide some guidance? I don’t really mean to volunteer Ken for the project! But wonder if it’s a simple enough project to get people together for some cooperation and club bonding… just a thought. The ‘bonding’ could also be done in the parking lot at the dashcam installer while their guys do all the work! 😉

Soolim Co
    Participant

I am interested on the group buy for the Blackvue DR650GW 2 ch version 2 that includes the cloud storage. Hopefully we get the 5x or 10x by end of March. If not, I would go solo.

Paul Carter
    Keymaster

FYI. This dashcam went on sale at Best Buy for 419.99 + tax. It comes with a power magic pro (which you don’t need).

http://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/product/-/b0006984.aspx?path=6ec0671d8ca74629c4d390b508b97ed3en02

Hugo Wong
    Participant

How much does RPM charge for just installation? seems cheaper to just buy at Best Buy and bring in for installation. I wonder if they’ve done any other Teslas besides Paul’s.

Brock Nanson

That’s a good price for sure. As Hugo questioned, I wonder what a typical install goes for. I’m tempted to pick one up at that price.

Paul, you don’t sound interested in the power magic pro, although it sounds like it could be useful. What is your thinking on that? For me, the trick is getting connected to the CAN bus power with an adapter, which could be challenging based on comments up thread about adapter availability. Price seems good even with the unit though, so no down side if the PMP doesn’t get used.

Makes me wonder in an install-fest might be a good alternative idea.

Soolim Co
    Participant

I intent to install using the 12V connector behind the mic panel, therefore no PMP for me. I agree with Paul that PMP is not needed by S because the 12V battery is maintained by the main battery. When the small battery charge drops, it will be replenished from the main battery, hence PMP is not needed for S. It just adds clutter to a clean car.

Brock Nanson

I’ve got one reserved at my local Best Buy… will pick up later. I can return it in a few days if I lose the drive to do the install myself.

I’m not 100% sure yet whether the added clutter to the mirror area is justified by the dashcam functionality. I’m not stuck in bumper to bumper rush hours around here… but travelling into the US might justify it.

I wonder if RPM would do install of owner-supplied units…

Paul Carter
    Keymaster

Yes RPM will install if you bring your own. I believe its $160+tax for the install.

Ideally using the power from the mic or from the glovebox is the simplest and less intrusive.

Soolim is correct, PMP is not needed as the 12V is maintained by the main battery pack.

Ken Neave
    Participant

Just a thought about the Best Buy version – their website does not say what size of MicroSD chip is included (if at all). You might have to factor in that extra cost. FYI, I got the 64GB SD included with my 2-channel. It stores about one day of video at the highest quality setting.

Paul – True, the PMP is not really necessary for the MS, but I got it with the package I ordered and installed it, figuring it would be nice just for shutting the cam down if parked for long periods, eg. vacation.

I looked into the “over the cloud” version, as my camera’s hardware is recent enough that I can do the firmware upgrade to take advantage of this. As far as I could tell from my research, you need to have a wifi hotspot that the car can access in order to use this feature. So you would need to connect to a smartphone or some other web-connected data appliance. What I really had a hard time finding out (and still not sure of) is whether the camera will buffer video files on the local SD, then upload all buffered files when a wifi connection is available, eg., while parked at home.

Hugo Wong
    Participant

With the BestBuy price of 419.99$ (includes 16gb card see details and specs section of the listing) and 160$ installation from RPM plus applicable taxes, it comes out pretty close whether you do the group buy or buy from BestBuy and get them to install. The prices Paul quoted are tax in I believe.

Hugo Wong
    Participant

Taking a look at the BestBuy website again, looks like there is no included 16gb micro sd card. My apologies. Swore I saw it on there when I checked yesterday.

Brock Nanson

Since I can’t be sure I can get to the coast for the installation, I picked up the Best Buy bundle. I’ll let it sit on my desk for a few days before I crack the seal… until I’m sure I want to install it! I have plenty of microSD around for GoPro, cell phones and DSLR, so I’m not too concerned about it being included or not. The PDF manual infers that a microSD card is included though, so I’ll take a closer look at the box. Recording front and back in highest quality and frame rate is supposed to allow 3 hours on a 16 GB card. If I’m wanting to catch incidents rather than record my entire trip, this would be more than enough.

They consider the microSD card to be a ‘consumable’. The continuous recording must literally wear out the cards and regular replacement is recommended.

Looking at the PDF installation manual, the first thing that jumps out at me… “Do not operate unit while driving”. Hmmm. Sure hope they mean “do not play with the buttons when driving”… LOL

Stephen Chow
    Participant

I made an appointment to drop off my S next weekend at RPM to get a Blackvue and a few other goodies installed. Found out an installer that works there now is one of my cousin’s friends who worked on two of my cars at Ralph’s.

Dan Bowditch
    Participant

@Stephen, did RPM indicate how long it takes to install the BlackVu 2CH? I have one that I will probably get them to install. Thx.

Hugo Wong
    Participant

When I asked they said 2 hours

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.